Let’s take a drive through California to find some more Weird Laws! Read to the end to see whose weird laws theory won QOTN*!
- It is illegal to molest butterflies.
- It is illegal to plant a garden in any public street.
- One may not allow his or her dog to chase a squirrel in the summer.
- Persons may not sleep on a road.
- Ice cream men must obtain a license before selling any ice cream from their car.
- A frog that dies during a frog-jumping contest cannot legally be eaten.
- Ducks have the right of way to cross Rancho California St.
- Men who wear moustaches are forbidden from kissing women.
- Kites may not be flown above 10 feet over the ground.
- Children may not wear a Halloween mask unless they get a special permit from the sheriff.
- Driving a herd of cattle down a street is against the law.
- It is illegal to own or sell “Silly String”.
- It is illegal to spit, except on baseball diamonds.
- You may not play percussion instruments on the beach.
I did not have “butterfly molesting” on my Weird Laws BINGO card, to be honest. And, man, I wouldn’t want to be the sheriff around Halloween.
* Sorry, no winner tonight. Beth is finishing up Emily’s post since she is out with friends and one of them (not Emily, thank goodness) had a minor medical incident making Emily’s return home later than planned. Beth was informed she was not “qualified” to pick a winner.
Question of the night: What are your best theories to explain how these laws got put on the books?