Let’s take a drive through Hawaii to find some weird state laws! Read to the bottom to find the best law explanations from last weekend!
- All residents may be fined for not owning a boat
- Coins are not allowed to be placed in one’s ears
- Honolulu: Within the limits of any public park, it is unlawful to annoy any bird
- In Hawaii it is illegal to get a tattoo behind your ear or on your eyelid unless in the presence of a registered physician
- Billboards are outlawed
- It’s illegal for a shooting gallery to offer liquor as a prize
- In the past there was a law that required children to obey all “lawful and moral” commands of their parent
- On Kauai, it is illegal for buildings to be taller than a palm tree
- As of 2014, it became illegal for police officers to have sex with prostitutes during an investigation
- A law dating to 1418 makes it illegal to sink the islands
- It’s not legal to ride in the backseat of a car without a seatbelt, but if all the seats in the car are occupied, you are allowed to ride in the bed of a truck with no safety equipment
- It is illegal to use imitation milk in a milkshake without warning
- It is unlawful for a shooting gallery to offer liquor as a prize
- In Hawaii’s Orakama Tribe, men are not allowed to eat their second wife
- It is against the law to display captive dolphins and whales
- Breaking off mineral deposits and speleothems from a cave is unlawful
- By law, twins are not permitted to work for the same company
- Dynamite, poison, and electric currents are not to be used while fishing
- It used to be illegal for one to leave home without knowing where they were going
- If you are in possession of a shark fin, you risk going to jail for an entire year
- Apparently, it is illegal to appear in public wearing only swimming trunks
Yeah, if it’s illegal to only wear swimming trunks, it is definitely not enforced… Also I’m concerned for all the first wives out there. Blink if you are in danger.
The hall of fame from last weekend in no specific order…
Questions of the night:
- What are your best theories to explain these weird laws?
- If you were dictator for a day, what law would you create?
- If you were dictator for a day, what law would you abolish?
Sources: Forest Grove Strange Laws, Fun Laws 50 Weird Laws, Only In Your State Hawaii