Let’s take a drive through Kentucky to find some weird state laws! Read to the end to find comment highlights from last Friday!
- In Kentucky every citizen of is required to take a shower once a year
- It is illegal in Kentucky to marry the same man more than 3 times
- In Owensboro, a woman may not buy a hat without her husband’s permission
- In London, In London it is illegal to have sex on a parked motorcycle
- Throwing flowers at a public speaker could result in up to one year in prison
- In Murray, the superintendent of sanitation “shall determine whether a person is small, medium or large.”
- No female shall appear in a bathing suit on any highway within this state unless she is escorted by at least two officers or unless she be armed with a club.” Later, an amendment proposed: The provisions of this statute shall not apply to any female weighing less than sixty pounds nor exceeding 200 pounds; nor shall it apply to female horses
- No one shall dye blue and sell baby ducks, chicks or rabbits, unless doing so in groups of 6 or more. Otherwise they will face a fine of $500
- All nude people in your house must be registered
- In Owensboro, all bees entering Kentucky shall be accompanied by certificates of health, stating that the apiary from which the bees came was free from contagious or infectious disease
- It is illegal to force a person into a store in order to make a sale
- A women who wears red panties on a Sunday must marry the first man who proposes
- It is illegal to toss your bucket of soapsuds or slops onto the public street
- Throwing eggs at a public speaker could result in up to one year in prison
- Any person who displays, handles or uses any kind of reptile in connection with any religious service or gathering shall be fined not less than fifty dollars ($50) nor more than one hundred dollars ($100)
- In Fort Thomas, Cats may not molest cars
- It is illegal to release a feral hog back into the wild
- Anyone who has been drinking is “sober” until he or she “cannot hold onto the ground”
- You need a license to walk around nude on your property
- It is illegal to shoot game out of the window of a moving vehicle, with the exception of a whale
- It’s illegal to fish in the Ohio River without an Indiana Fishing License
- In Danville, each year, the mayor must appoint “three intelligent housekeepers” to the Board of Tax Supervisors.
- In Frankfort, it against the law to shoot off a policeman’s tie
“Anyone who has been drinking is “sober” until he or she ‘cannot hold onto the ground'” My friends agree and live by this law, and trust me it isn’t pretty. “It is illegal to shoot game out of the window of a moving vehicle, with the exception of a whale” Do these states understand what “land-locked” means??
And now, a soothing selection of comment highlights featured by TNB 102.8
Questions of the night:
- What are your best theories to explain these weird laws?
- If you were dictator for a day, what law would you create?
- If you were dictator for a day, what law would you abolish?