Let’s take a drive past the sandy beaches and the rolling mountains of North Carolina to find some weird state laws!
Take a stroll through the poll section so we can decide the best worst laws of each state for our grand finale!
- Elephants may not be used to plow cotton fields
- It’s against the law to sing off key
- It’s a felony to steal more than $1000 worth of grease
- Before North Carolina got its own lottery, it was illegal to be in mere possession of a lottery ticket, and you’d be fined $2000
- If a man and woman who aren’t married go to a hotel and register themselves as married, then according to state law, they are married
- Organizations may not hold their meetings when members present are in costume
- Bingo games may not last more than five hours, and alcohol is not allowed at bingo games
- Driving on sidewalks is illegal
- Visiting the dead after midnight is illegal
- Women are required to wear clothes that total 16 yards. Meaning Daisy Dukes = illegal
- It’s illegal for Grandma to get intoxicated at Bingo night
- It’s illegal to practice as a professional psychic or fortune-teller, but amateurs are ok
- A small font can send you to jail!
- Forest city requires you call Town Hall before entering the city in a car
- Rollerblading in the sun is illegal
- You can’t collect your own reward money
- You can get a DWI on a horse
- Happy hours are illegal
- In Barber: Fights between cats and dogs are prohibited
- In Asheville, North Carolina, it is illegal to sneeze on city streets
- In Raleigh, before a man asks for a women’s hand in marriage, he must be “inspected by all the barnyard animals on the young woman’s family’s property, to ensure a harmonious farm life.”
- In Kill Devil Hills, you may not ride a bicycle without having both your hands on the handle bars
I’ve just got one question that comes to mind. What the h*ll kind of town name is “Kill Devil Hills”? I guess they are very dedicated to the Good Lord’s work…
QOTN: What are your best theories to explain these weird laws?
Sources: Forest Grove Weird Laws, Only In Your State NC, Crowd Signal Polls