Let’s take a drive through the home of country music and the great smokey mountains to find some weird laws!
- You can’t sell hollow logs in Tennessee, so don’t even try
- Carrying a skunk over state borders is a huge no-no. Unless you’re looking for trouble, we’d recommend you don’t do it
- In Oneida it is technically considered illegal for a woman to call a man and ask him on a date. Bad news for all those independent ladies out there
- The only animal it is legal to shoot out of your car window is a whale. Good luck finding one, guys
- You can move in with your girlfriends, but not TOO many of them. If eight or more women are living together in a Tennessee house it is considered a brothel. Yikes!
- Spitting on the sidewalk in Lexington is quite solidly illegal
- It’s a misdemeanor to tattoo a minor in Tennessee
- Holding hands is considered a gateway to sexual activity, so it is illegal on school grounds
- Added in on a technicality: If that roadkill looks appetizing, go for it! It’s completely legal to pick up some roadkill on the way home and fry it up for supper
- It’s illegal to post images online if they are meant to cause emotional distress – that is, it’s illegal if there is no legitimate purpose. We’ll leave you to sort that one out.
- In Oneida the song, “It Ain’t Goin’ To Rain No Mo'” is actually outlawed. Don’t hum that tune too loud if you make it out there
- Sharing your Netflix password is a tried and true illegality in the Volunteer State
- The art of lassoing a fish is lost to Tennesseans, as it is illegal
- Bummer, guys – you can’t drive in Tennessee while you’re asleep. Tempting as it is.
QOTN: What are your best theories to explain why these laws were created?
Sources: Forest Grove Weird Laws, Only in your State TN
Any opinions expressed in this article are the opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website or of the other authors/contributors who write for it.