Let’s take a drive through South Dakota to find some weird state laws!
- Horses aren’t allowed into fountains unless they are wearing pants
- To lie down and fall asleep in a cheese factory is against the law
- It is illegal to show any movies that include police officers being struck, beaten, or treated offensively
- In Deadwood, it’s illegal to mix an alcoholic beverage with another without a permit
- You’re breaking the law if you use a throwing star in Sisseton
- It’s illegal to disturb a mink den in South Dakota
- It’s illegal for hunters to use a spotlight in South Dakota, unless they’re hunting raccoons and need the light to keep track of their dog
- It’s illegal to allow your dog to hunt big game, with the exception of mountain lions
Unfortunately SD doesn’t have many weird laws, so i’ll leave you with this factoid and several polls:
You know that Mount Rushmore took 14 years and more than one million dollars to build, but do you know what that would amount to today? When you factor in inflation (from 1941 to 2019), it comes to a whopping $17,421,224.49.