Let’s take a drive through Virginia, the Mother of States, to find some weird state laws!
- No Trick or Treating on halloween.
- Culpeper: No one may wash a mule on the sidewalk
- Richmond: It is illegal to flip a coin in a restaurant to see who pays for a coffee
- It’s illegal to hunt any animals other than raccoons on Sunday
- No matter how frustrated you may be, it’s illegal to spit on a seagull
- A woman who is not wearing a corset or being escorted by a man after 6 p.m. is technically bending the law
- It’s illegal to own a pet skunk
- It’s illegal to park on a railroad track
- Skateboarding down the Main Street sidewalk is illegal in Victoria
- Using foul language in an argument with another person is strictly prohibited
- It’s illegal to keep the gate to your swimming pool open after you’ve finished using it
- Failing to honk your horn when you pass another car
- Using certain walking sticks or canes in Virginia Beach is unlawful
- Tickling a woman
- Referring to any other brand of ham as “Smithfield.”
- In Christiansburg, Va., it’s illegal to imitate a police whistle
QOTN: What are your best theories to explain why these laws were put into place?
Sources: Forest Grove Strange Laws, Only In Your State VA Weird Laws
Any opinions expressed in this article are the opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website or of the other authors/contributors who write for it.