President Biden’s public schedule for 02/12/2024:
Presidential Daily Brief
|The President receives the Presidential Daily Briefing
The White HouseClosed Press
|In-Town Pool Call Time
The White House In-Town Pool
Left the White House
|The President departs the White House en route to the National Association of Counties Legislative Conference
South Grounds In-Town Travel Pool
|The President delivers remarks at the National Association of Counties Legislative Conference
Washington Hilton Open Press
Arrives at the White House
|The President arrives at the White House
South Grounds In-Town Travel Pool
|Press Briefing by Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre
James S. Brady Press Briefing Room
Welcome to the White House
|The President and The First Lady welcome His Majesty King Abdullah II and Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah of Jordan to the White House
South Portico Open Press
|The President and His Majesty King Abdullah II of Jordan deliver remarks following a meeting
Cross Hall Pre-Credentialed Media & Pooled for TV
President Biden Delivers Remarks at the National Association of Counties Legislative Conference @11:15 a.m. D.C., time (replay):
Press Briefing by Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre @1:00 p.m. D.C., time:
The White House on 02/08/2024, announced the visit of His Majesty King Abdullah II ibn Al Hussein and Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan:
The President and the First Lady look forward to welcoming His Majesty King Abdullah II ibn Al Hussein and Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan to the White House on February 12, 2024. This year, the United States and the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan celebrate 75 years of diplomatic relations, and the two leaders will discuss how the United States and Jordan can continue to deepen our strong bilateral relationship. President Biden and King Abdullah II will also discuss the ongoing situation in Gaza and efforts to produce an enduring end to the crisis. Towards that end, the two leaders will discuss U.S. effort to support the Palestinian people including through enhanced humanitarian assistance into Gaza and a vision for a durable peace to include a two-state solution with Israel’s security guaranteed.White House.gov. 02/08/2024.
President Biden and His Majesty King Abdullah II of Jordan Deliver Remarks @4:00 p.m. D.C., time:
Boost Physical Activity Tweet
I’m proud to bring together the biggest sports leagues and players associations in America to strengthen physical activity and nutrition programming for families across the country. https://t.co/dpPxhgbXYY— President Biden (@POTUS) February 9, 2024
From the White House…
Partnership with President’s Council on Sports, Fitness, and Nutrition is among new commitments under the White House Challenge to End Hunger and Build Healthy Communities
Today, the Biden-Harris Administration is announcing a new partnership with major sports leagues and players associations to boost physical activity and increase nutrition programming across the country.White House.gov. 02/08/2024.
Fourteen sports leagues and players associations have signed agreements with the President’s Council on Sports, Fitness, and Nutrition to expand access to physical activity, integrate messaging and education around nutrition, and promote healthy lifestyles to the millions of people who engage in their programs every year.
In 2022, President Biden hosted the White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health, the first in more than 50 years. The President also announced a National Strategy to meet an ambitious goal to end hunger and reduce diet-related diseases by 2030 – all while closing disparities among the communities that are impacted most.
Towards that goal, last year the Biden-Harris Administration launched the White House Challenge to End Hunger and Build Healthy Communities as a nationwide call-to-action to stakeholders across all of society to make bold commitments. The historic partnership announced today is one of the new commitments cultivated through the White House Challenge. Additional new commitments will be announced later this month.
The President’s Council on Sports, Fitness, & Nutrition is a federal advisory committee that aims to promote healthy, accessible eating and physical activity for all Americans, regardless of background or ability. In 2022, President Biden appointed chef José Andrés and basketball player Elena Delle Donne to serve as Co-Chairs of the President’s Council followed by a full slate of Council Members in 2023.
The following sports leagues and players associations are announcing new commitments today:
- National Football League (NFL): The NFL will build on PLAY60, the NFL’s national youth health and wellness platform, empowering millions of youth to get physically active for at least 60 minutes a day, and integrate the importance of nutrition into its messaging for these programs.
- National Hockey League (NHL): The NHL is committed to expanding access and opportunity for children and families to experience hockey in all forms through financial investments in communities, national advocacy, and strategic programming including NHL/NHLPA Learn to Play, NHL STREET, and the Hockey is for Everyone Coalition.
- Major League Baseball (MLB): MLB will bolster its PLAY BALL initiative, a global effort to encourage young people and communities to engage in baseball and softball, with nutrition education and messaging for children. MLB initiated this effort during its World Series PLAY BALL event in October 2023, with PLAY BALL coaches speaking to the participating kids about healthy eating and good nutrition. MLB will continue to share this message in partnership with the President’s Council during future PLAY BALL events.
- National Basketball Association (NBA) & Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA): The NBA and WNBA will continue developing programming and events that promote physical activity to all young people and taking action to combat food insecurity – building upon activities at the All-Star Game in Indianapolis this month.
- Major League Soccer (MLS): MLS is committed to supporting nutrition security and helping to build healthy communities. In 2024, the League will provide over 2.5 million meals to local communities through MLS stadium food recovery programs and tentpole League events.
- PGA Tour: The PGA Tour will promote the physical and nutrition benefits of the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans and the Dietary Guidelines for Americans with charitable beneficiaries in its host communities who share a commitment to health and wellness.
- National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL): The NWSL will leverage its 15 teams with players from across the globe to promote healthy eating, physical activity, nutrition messaging through their community events.
- Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA): The MLBPA in partnership with its charitable arm, the Players Trust will build on its work with players in coaching and mentoring the next generation on the importance of developing lifelong healthy habits and behaviors that contribute to their positive physical, social, emotional, and mental wellbeing.
- National Women’s Soccer League Players Association (NWSLPA): NWSLPA will work with players and other teams to raise awareness among young people about the importance of healthy eating and physical activity.
- National Hockey League Players Association (NHLPA): NHLPA will add nutrition education and messaging to community initiatives and amplify federal resources such as Move Your Way. The NHLPA’s Goals & Dreams program, which helps children play the sport of hockey by donating equipment to community-based programs, will conduct several events this year with various community partners.
- Major League Soccer Players Association (MLSPA): MLSPA will build on existing community programming to spotlight nutrition as a facet of performing well on the field and continue to elevate the importance of healthy eating.
- United Soccer League Players Association (USLPA): USLPA will partner with the President’s Council to continue promoting nutrition through its initiatives and programming.
CHIPS and Science Act Tweet
America invented the semiconductor. It’s time to bring manufacturing – and the jobs that come with it – home.— President Biden (@POTUS) February 10, 2024
My Administration is investing an additional $5 billion in microchip research, development, and workforce, as part of the implementation of our CHIPS and Science Act.
From the White House…
The Administration expects to invest billions in the National Semiconductor Technology Center (NSTC), now established as a public-private consortium, and other CHIPS Research and Development (R&D) priorities
Today, the Biden-Harris Administration announced it expects to invest over $5 billion in semiconductor-related research, development, and workforce needs, including in the National Semiconductor Technology Center (NSTC), to advance President Biden’s goals of driving R&D in the United States. As part of the implementation of the CHIPS and Science Act and the President’s Investing in America agenda, these investments advance U.S. leadership in semiconductor R&D, cut down on the time and cost of commercializing new technologies, bolster U.S. national security, and connect and support workers in securing good semiconductor jobs.White House.gov. 02/09/2024.
Semiconductors were invented in America and serve as the backbone of the modern economy. But today, the United States produces less than 10 percent of global supply and none of the most advanced chips. Similarly, decades ago the U.S. government invested nearly 2% of GDP in R&D. At that time, federally funded initiatives allowed America led the world in innovation – creating life-changing advances in technology like GPS and the internet. In recent years, however, the government investment ratio has fallen below 1 percent. Under President Biden’s Investing in America agenda, the CHIPS and Science Act aims to change that by making a historic investment in U.S. semiconductor manufacturing, research and development (R&D), and the workforce. The CHIPS R&D program includes $11 billion in total funding to advance four programs: the NSTC; the National Advanced Packaging Manufacturing Program (NAPMP); the CHIPS Metrology Program; and the CHIPS Manufacturing USA Institute. The NSTC, as the centerpiece of the CHIPS R&D program, will bring together and support government, industry, labor, customers, suppliers, educational institutions, entrepreneurs, and investors to accelerate the pace of new innovations, lower barriers to participation in semiconductor R&D, and directly address fundamental needs for a skilled, diverse semiconductor workforce.
Today, the White House hosted research and development and workforce convenings with senior Administration leadership, industry, academia, think tanks, state and local government, and labor, where the Biden-Harris Administration announced several milestones that will drive U.S. leadership in cutting-edge semiconductor research and development, including:
Building the National Semiconductor Technology Center
- Planning to invest at least $5 billion in the NSTC, which is now formally established as a Public-Private Consortium by the Secretaries of Commerce, Defense, and Energy, the Director of the National Science Foundation, and Natcast CEO Deirdre Hanford. The NSTC will ensure the U.S. leads the way in the next generation of semiconductor technologies by supporting the design, prototyping, and piloting of the latest semiconductor technologies; leveraging shared facilities and expertise to ensure innovators have access to critical capabilities; and building and sustaining a skilled and diverse semiconductor workforce;
- Announcing research priorities for the NSTC for 2024, including identifying early start research programs; and
- Launching the NSTC Community of Interest, a no-cost, pre-membership program for interested stakeholders to provide input into the program offerings and structure of the NSTC.
Investing in the Semiconductor Workforce
- Planning to invest at least hundreds of millions of dollars in the NSTC’sworkforce efforts, including the creation of a Workforce Center of Excellence with a presence in multiple regions. This work will build on the Administration’s efforts to create equitable training pathways to connect Americans to the good-paying, high quality jobs in critical industries of the future created by the President’s Investing in America Agenda, including work done through the Biden-Harris Administration’s Workforce Hubs and Advanced Manufacturing Sprint. The NSTC will leverage workforce investments made by industry, academia, and other education and workforce partners and its own funding to:
- Convene stakeholders, facilitating connections between employers and education and training providers, such as community and technical colleges, workforce development boards, and registered apprenticeship programs;
- Use data to measure the success of existing programs and to guide future investment;
- Scale up proven education and training programs; and
- Pilot new efforts, including initiatives to engage underserved communities.
- Additional activities could include synthesizing semiconductor education and training to form a common baseline education program, launching campaigns to attract new students and workers to the semiconductor industry, developing new training methodologies, and accelerating access to educational resources.
- Continuing to engage a broad set of stakeholders to guide the stand-up of the NSTC’s workforce activities, with the goal of launching in summer 2024. The NSTC’s workforce activities will engage senior leadership from the National Science Foundation, Department of Defense, Department of Energy, Department of Labor, and Department of Education, among other federal agencies, to ensure the NSTC benefits from expertise across the government, in addition to experts from industry, academia, labor, and workforce training providers.
Investing in Other Key R&D Needs
- Commerce released a Notice of Intent to invest at least $200 million in a CHIPS Manufacturing USA Institute to create a first-of-its-kind semiconductor manufacturing digital twin institute, which will allow innovators to replicate and experiment with physical manufacturing processes at low cost, helping to significantly reduce U.S. chip development and manufacturing costs, improve development cycle time, and accelerate the adoption of innovation semiconductor manufacturing technologies;
- Commerce released a Notice of Intent to fund up to $300 million in new R&D activities in advanced packaging of substrates and substrate materials, a key technology for manufacturing semiconductors, to improve all aspects of system performance and support the breadth of new semiconductor applications; and
- Commerce has awarded over $100 million in funding across 29 projects in the CHIPS Metrology program addressing common needs across the microelectronic industry. Current projects are helping to develop new measurement instruments, measurement methods, and measurement-informed models and simulations for advanced microelectronics design and manufacturing, all of which will help inventors and entrepreneurs more easily scale innovations into commercial products.
Today’s announcements build on the progress the Administration has already made in advancing research, development, and innovation in the United States through implementation of the CHIPS and Science Act. Last week, the White House and the National Science Foundation announced 10 U.S. regions that are emerging as innovation ecosystems and receiving over $530 million in investment catalyzed by the National Science Foundation’s Regional Innovation Engines program, including to support advanced semiconductor packaging capabilities in Osceola County, Florida. Over the last several months, the Biden-Harris Administration also officially designated a new nonprofit, the National Center for the Advancement of Semiconductor Technology (Natcast), as the operator of the NSTC, and announced the selection of a Board of Directors and a CEO. And, in the fall of 2023, the Administration announced the designation of 31 Regional Tech Hubs, including hubs in New York, Oregon, Vermont, Texas, and Oklahoma that will specifically focus on spurring and supporting innovation in semiconductor manufacturing.White House.gov. 02/09/2024.
Bilateral Meeting With Chancellor Olaf Scholz of Germany Tweet
Today I met with Chancellor Scholz and spoke about several of our shared priorities, including our support for Ukraine in its defense against Russian aggression and ongoing developments in the Middle East.— President Biden (@POTUS) February 10, 2024
I look forward to seeing him again soon at the NATO Summit in Washington. pic.twitter.com/T8h60csW00
The United States and Germany will continue to act together to meet the challenges of our time. pic.twitter.com/HfnFRRFymu— President Biden (@POTUS) February 12, 2024
The video clip is 31 seconds long.
Remarks by President Biden and Chancellor Olaf Scholz of Germany Before Bilateral Meeting; the YouTube 3 minutes and 56 seconds long.
Well, welcome back, Olaf. Thank you very much for making the effort to be here.
And, you know, it was about two years ago you and I met here, and you said the United States and Germany have to act together and — and do what’s necessary together. And we’ve been doing that. We got to continue to do it.
And, you know, Congress — we have to pass a national security spending package now. Our House members are being somewhat reluctant — and hopefully, it’s more politics than real, but — including funding for Ukraine and to help them continue to be able to defend themselves against the brutal aggression of Russia.
Today, we’ll also discuss the work to — just that we’re going to be doing together to strengthen NATO ahead of the 75th NATO Summit this summer here. So, you got to come back.
So, Olaf, thank you very, very much for being here. We got a lot to talk about.
And the floor is yours, man.White House.gov. 02/09/2024.
From the White House…
President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. welcomed Chancellor Olaf Scholz of Germany to the White House today to continue their close coordination on shared priorities. President Biden and Chancellor Scholz reaffirmed their resolute support for Ukraine in its struggle against Russia’s war of aggression. The President commended Germany’s exemplary contributions to Ukraine’s self-defense, and Chancellor Scholz emphasized the significance of sustained U.S. support. The leaders discussed efforts to prevent regional escalation in the Middle East, and reaffirmed their commitment to Israel’s right to self-defense consistent with international law. They also underscored the imperative to protect civilians in Gaza and increase deliveries of life-saving humanitarian assistance. The two exchanged views on setting the conditions for a durable peace for Israelis and Palestinians alike, which includes the establishment of a Palestinian state with Israel’s security guaranteed. President Biden and Chancellor Scholz discussed the upcoming NATO Summit in Washington and pointed to the strength of the transatlantic relationship in facing current geopolitical challenges.White House.gov. 02/09/2024.
Happy Lunar New Year Tweet
For centuries, families around the world have gathered to celebrate the first moon of the new year.— President Biden (@POTUS) February 10, 2024
It’s a time of renewal and reflection, hope and possibilities, and good over evil.
From the Biden family to yours, we wish you a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year. pic.twitter.com/TwfKXtRzv3
Black History Month Celebration Tweet
Let us reflect on how we make history – not erase history.— President Biden (@POTUS) February 10, 2024
Remarks by President Biden at a Reception in Recognition of Black History Month; the YouTube is 15 minutes and 30 seconds long.
So, tonight, let’s reflect on how we make history, not erase history. You know? (Applause.)White House.gov. 02/06/2024.
S&P 500/Economy Tweets
Good news for folks as we start the weekend. The stock market going strong is a sign of confidence in America’s economy. https://t.co/3nnSiVWOYP— President Biden (@POTUS) February 10, 2024
NBC News said on Friday; Stocks rose on Friday after December’s revised inflation reading came in lower than first reported, and the S&P 500 closed above 5,000 level as strong earnings and economic news chugged on.
They went on to write; A solid earnings season, easing inflation data and a resilient economy have charged 2024′s market rally, setting the S&P 500 up for a fifth consecutive week of gains. It’s also propelled the index above the 5,000 level after first touching above the milestone during Thursday’s session. The S&P first crossed 4,000 in April 2021.
This Administration is bringing manufacturing back to America after decades of offshoring. pic.twitter.com/N4Ac6ZSdiT— President Biden (@POTUS) February 10, 2024
Super Bowl Tweets
1987 with my boys.— President Biden (@POTUS) February 11, 2024
This Super Bowl Sunday, I hope you can take part in the age-old American traditions of eating great food, gathering with great friends, and watching a great game. pic.twitter.com/HNYvqpEg9P
While you were Super Bowl shopping, did you notice smaller-than-usual products where the price stays the same?— President Biden (@POTUS) February 11, 2024
Folks are calling it Shrinkflation and it means companies are giving you less for every dollar you spend.
I’m calling on the big consumer brands to put a stop to it. pic.twitter.com/wL1NsEh78F
The video clip is 48 seconds long.
President Biden: It’s Superbowl Sunday. And if you’re anything like me, you like to be surrounded by a snack or two while watching the big game. You know, when buying snacks for the game, you might have noticed one thing: sports drinks bottles are smaller, a bag of chips has fewer chips, but they’re still charging us just as much. As an ice cream lover, what makes me most angry is that ice cream cartons have actually shrunk in size, but not in price. I’ve had enough what they call “shrinkflation”. It’s a rip off. Some companies are trying to pull a fast one by shrinking the products little by little and hoping you won’t notice. Give me a break. The American public is tired of being played for suckers. I’m calling on companies to put a stop to this. Let’s make sure businesses do the right thing, now.
To learn more about “shrinkflation” @ investopedia.com (article was published in 11/2023).
Post Game Tweet
With their third Super Bowl win in just five seasons, the Kansas City Chiefs aren’t just champions today – they’re a dynasty.— President Biden (@POTUS) February 12, 2024
Congratulations, Chiefs Kingdom.
Ready to welcome this team back to the White House. pic.twitter.com/8GZDRiopRX
The video clip is 12 seconds long and shows images from KC’s last visit to the White House…
The Super Bowl smooch hits different pic.twitter.com/rTPCo3qPQJ— NFL on CBS 🏈 (@NFLonCBS) February 12, 2024
I couldn’t help myself…
Just like we drew it up. pic.twitter.com/9NBvc5nVZE— Joe Biden (@JoeBiden) February 12, 2024
It was truly an amazing Super Bowl all the way around.
“New” from the White House…
- Remarks by President Biden at a Campaign Reception | New York, NY
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre and Spokesman for the White House Counsel’s Office Ian Sams, February 9, 2024; the YouTube is 1 hour and 10 minutes long.
- Statement from NSC Spokesperson Adrienne Watson Marking the Two-Year Anniversary of the Indo-Pacific Strategy
- Readout of White House Community Violence Awareness Week and Culminating Ceremony; the YouTube is 2 hours and 6 minutes long.
This is an Open Thread.