President Trump Orders U.S. Troops to Withdraw From Syria

Troops boarding a C-17. Photo by Spc. April York. (U.S. Army)

Wednesday multi-media sources reported that President Trump has ordered the removal of all 2,000 U.S. ground troops from Syria. 

The New York Times reports that the withdrawal will happen within thirty days according to U.S. Officials. 

Shortly after media reports announced the intended withdrawal from Syria, President Trump explained via Twitter, that ISIS has been defeated in Syria. 

CNN reports that “estimates vary,” as to how many ISIS fighters are left citing a Defense Department Inspector General report that puts the number of ISIS fighters as high as 30,000 between Syria and Iraq. 

Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sander’s said in a statement via the Washington Post, that the U.S. has “started returning United States troops home as we transition to the next phase of this campaign,” she added, “the United States and our allies stand ready to re-engage at all levels to defend American interests whenever necessary.”

According to CNN earlier this month the U.S.-led coalition denied any changes in the U.S. presence in Syria, saying, “Any reports indicating a change in the US position with respect to the US military presence in Syria is false and designed to sow confusion and chaos.” 

Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) on Wednesday called the move to withdrawal troops from Syria a “colossal, in my mind, mistake.”  

CNN Congressional Reporter Elizabeth Landers reported via Twitter, that the Chairman of the Senate Armed Services committee Jim Inhofe (R-OK) was unaware of the move to withdrawal troops from Syria. 

Senator Lindsey Graham weighed in on the move via Twitter. 

For What It’s Worth: In September via a Washington Post article National Security Adviser John Bolton said that the “United States wouldn’t be leaving Syria so long as Iranian forces continued to operate there, suggesting the Trump administration had embraced an expanded mission in the embattled country beyond the defeat of the Islamic State.” 

The State Department according to their website, has cancelled a planned press briefing that was to be held on Wednesday. 

About the opinions in this article…

Any opinions expressed in this article are the opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of this website or of the other authors/contributors who write for it.

About Tiff 2011 Articles
Member of the Free Press who is politically homeless and a political junkie.