Let’s take a drive through South Carolina to find some weird state laws!
Take a stroll through the poll section and catch up on them so we can find the best worst law in each state for our Weird State Laws finale!
- It is an offense to get a tattoo
- Horses may not be kept in bathtubs
- Railroad companies may be held liable for scaring horses
- A permit must be obtained to fire a missile
- A railroad may not remove itself from a town of more than 500 people
- When approaching a 4-way or blind intersection in a non-horse vehicle you must stop 100ft from said intersection and discharge a firearm into the air to warn horse traffic
- Every adult must bring a rifle to church on Sundays in order to ward off Indian attacks
- Nothing must be sold on Sundays except light bulbs
- You must be 18 to play pinball
- It is illegal to urinate in the waters of any park
- Persons may not change clothes in a gas station without permission
- The fire department may blow up your house
- Horses are to wear pants at all times
- It is illegal to dance in public in Lancaster, SC
- Eating ripe and juicy watermelon in the Magnolia St. Cemetery is forbidden
- It is against the law and a capital offense to inadvertently kill someone while trying to commit suicide
- Making a U-turn with 100 feet of an intersection even when signs aren’t posted is illegal
- Driving your motor vehicle on King Street in Charleston
- Working on Sunday is illegal
“Horses may not be kept in bathtubs” But at least donkeys can in this state. “A permit must be obtained to fire a missile” God I’d hope so. “A railroad may not remove itself from a town of more than 500 people” It’s always a worry that a railroad will get up and walk away. “Nothing must be sold on Sundays except light bulbs” Because light bulbs are more important than baby formula or diapers… ” It is against the law and a capital offense to inadvertently kill someone while trying to commit suicide” So please don’t do it?
QOTN: What are your best theories to explain these weird laws?