In October of last year, prior to the onetime lawyer and self-labeled ‘fixer’ for President Donald Trump, Michael Cohen, being sentenced to three years in prison, The New York Times, and other outlets requested the release of search warrants related to Cohen’s case, on Tuesday, those documents with redaction’s were made public.
According to The New York Times, at the time of their request the Government opposed the action stating, “need to protect an ongoing law enforcement investigation,” as well as the privacy of “numerous uncharged third parties.”
The document PDF as Courthouse News explains, contains “eight separate applications, affidavits, and search warrants totaling hundreds of pages were used to support the raids,” several of these pages have been completely redacted.
As The Washington Post explains, the government first started investigating Cohen in July of 2017 seeking email communications for January of that year through July of 2017, the government then sought “a second warrant less than a month later sought the cloud backup files related to his phones. A third warrant sought by Mueller’s office sought Cohen emails dating to June 2015.”
The article goes on to say that investigators were investigating Cohen, for “allegedly making false statements to a financial institution, and suspected bank and wire fraud — as well as possible money laundering and violations of the Foreign Agents Registration Act. Cohen was not a registered lobbyist, nor had he registered under the Foreign Agents Registration Act, authorities alleged.”
As the article points out, the section that contains information regarding the campaign finance violation that Cohen pleaded guilty to, was sentenced to three years in jail for, and has testified before Congress, was entered into and completed at the request of President Trump aka Individual One, contains the heading, “The Illegal Campaign Contribution Scheme,” — “a reference to Cohen’s arranging for hush-money payments to women who had alleged affairs with Trump — 18½ pages are covered in a gray box.”
Courthouse News explains the warrant materials also show, “Cohen’s ties to Ukrainian-born Russian oligarch Viktor Vekselberg.”
Here is another passage about Michael Cohen's ties to Ukrainian-born Russian oligarch Viktor Vekselberg, via Columbus Nova, which is controlled by Renova. pic.twitter.com/g7nCHtSi7P— Adam Klasfeld (@KlasfeldReports) March 19, 2019
The FBI says that Cohen opened his Essential Consultants account at First Republic before the month before the 2016 presidential election.— Adam Klasfeld (@KlasfeldReports) March 19, 2019
The account "received substantial payments from foreign sources," the FBI says.
What follows is redacted. pic.twitter.com/JS6bJ82BZf
Remember when @MichaelAvenatti released a document detailing Michael Cohen's "suspicious transactions" related to Essential Consultants and Ukrainian-born oligarch Viktor Vekselberg.— Adam Klasfeld (@KlasfeldReports) March 19, 2019
From May '18: https://t.co/7tORHNkxms
Lots on that in this warrant: https://t.co/qig9w0xul2
Cohen’s attorney Lanny Davis prior to the release of the warrant apps issued a statement via The Washington Post, stating that the release, “only furthers his interest in continuing to cooperate and providing information and the truth about Donald Trump and the Trump Organization to law enforcement and Congress.